Previous Page Breadcrumbs
Peterhead Prison Museum Self Guided Tour for TwoCode: PPPMT2 9 month validity Scotland - Aberdeenshire 2 people
Product ImagesDouble tap to zoom Play Video
Peterhead Prison Museum Self Guided Tour for Two
Add to Basket
Take a journey through 130 years of enthralling history at the Peterhead Prison Museum. Scotland’s only high-security prison is filled with fascinating stories that you’ll hear in an award-winning audio where past officers discuss their experiences. It was also home to the first state-owned railway; on display you’ll see a carriage that carried the inmates to their work at the quarry. Visit cell blocks, court room, punishment block and silent cell, before concluding the tour in the former hospital.
During your visit, you’ll meet a former officer who was held hostage on the prison rooftops for four days in 1987 before rescue. Now 88 years old, you’ll hear first-hand his inspiring account of the only time the SAS ended a domestic siege on mainland UK.
- Self-guided tour for two of the Peterhead Prison Museum
- Explore the grounds of Scotland’s only high-security prison
- Award-winning audio headset
- Visit cell blocks, punishment blocks, court room and more
- See a prison carriage from Britain’s first state-owned railway
- Meet an inspiring former officer who was held hostage and rescued by the SAS
- Experience gift pack including personalised voucher and message card
Your voucher is valid for 9 months from the date of issue, while government restrictions apply in relation to Covid-19 we are offering free extensions on all experiences so you can take your experience when the time is right.
What happens on the day?
On arrival you’ll be provided with your audio headset, which provides an immersive insight into what happened during the prison’s day-to-day running, as well as fascinating tales from former officers at key locations throughout the route. Wander the six-acre site and see the development over the years, visiting the former kitchens, laundry and shower blocks, as well as the reception, court room, punishment block and silent cell. You’ll conclude the tour in the former hospital.
As part of your day, you’ll get to meet the inspiring former officer who was rescued by the SAS after being held hostage for four days on the prison rooftops. At 88 years of age, he still volunteers six days a week to speak to visitors, and many consider it the highlight of their day.
- Children under the age of 5 are not charged entry but will not be permitted a headset due to the challenging content of the tour
- Children aged 6 to 16 require parental approval for headsets
- Under 18s must be accompanied by a full paying adult
- The tour contains some adult content so children may attend at their parents' discretion
- All visitors must arrive ahead of final entry times, as the gates lock electronically at the times listed in the availability section
- Car parking for 80 vehicles are onsite, with the former driveway set aside for disabled car parking only
- The experience content, equipment used and restrictions may vary
Your experience must be taken whilst the voucher is valid.
Peterhead Prison Museum is open seven days a week (except 25 and 26 December, 1 and 2 January) :
Summer season 1 April to 31 October 10.00 to 18.00 with last entry at 16.30
Winter season 1 November to 31 March 10.00 to 16.00 with last entry at 14.30
Please allow 1 hour 30m minutes to 2 hours for the tour, however once inside the attraction visitors can spend the whole day if they wish.
What about insurance?
The centres contracted with us hold public liability insurance. We also hold contingency liability cover. You will not be liable for accidental damage to equipment, except where damage has been caused as a result of recklessness or wilful negligence.
A cancellation indemnity, subject to terms, is included with every voucher.
How it works
All you have to do is pay for the experience you wish to purchase and we’ll send a voucher and booking information to you or directly to the recipient, then you just need to check the info and book your experience.
Packaging and Delivery
Please see the following page for information on our packaging and delivery.
All images shown are for illustration purpose only, actual product may vary from images shown.
Add to Basket
Scotland - Aberdeenshire
Please note some locations indicated on the map may not be completely accurate and should not be used when planning directions.