Watched any old movies lately and wished you could relive the golden age of steam? Well now you can - with this Steam Locomotive Driving experience you will take control of a real fully functioning locomotive, for a thrilling ride along Britain’s only mainline steam railway in Loughborough, Leicestershire.
Take to the footplate and live your dream for a full day of excitement, you’ll take an observation trip, enjoy a complimentary lunch and receive guided tours of the locomotive works and signal box. Included in this incredible experience is a free train ticket for one guest and presentation of your participation certificate. This is a super interesting day and one you won't forget in a hurry.
- Route observation trip
- Shared drive of a steam locomotive
- Complimentary lunch
- Guided tour of locomotive works
- Guided tour of signal box
- Free train ticket for one guest
- Presentation Certificate
- Experience gift pack including personalised voucher and message card
- Cancellation indemnity
What happens on the day?
A warm reception and a hot drink await you in the Loughborough Central refreshment room when you meet your friendly host for the day. After donning company overalls you'll be shown a brief training film and during the day, enjoy a tour of the locomotive works and signal box.
At lunch time you can choose from a selection of daily specials and the highlight of your day comes when you mount the footplate of your locomotive. You’ll take an historic journey on Britain's only main line steam railway, professionally instructed and assisted by an experienced member of the crew.
- Minimum age: 18
- No maximum age but must be fit enough to climb up to the footplate
- Participants must be physically and mentally fit with good hearing and vision
- You must not suffer from any driving prohibiting condition - if in doubt please check at the time of booking
- One complimentary ticket for a guest’s train travel is included. Additional guests are welcome however there will be an extra charge; please contact the supplier for further details
- The experience content, equipment used and restrictions may vary
Your voucher is valid for 12 months from the issue date.
This experience is available on selected weekends throughout the year.
We recommend you book at least 12 weeks in advance to ensure that dates are available. All bookings are subject to availability.
Please allow approximately 7 hours for the whole experience.
What about insurance?
The centres contracted with us hold public liability insurance. We also hold contingency liability cover. You will not be liable for accidental damage to equipment, except where damage has been caused as a result of recklessness or wilful negligence.
A cancellation indemnity, subject to terms, is included with every voucher.
How it works
All you have to do is pay for the experience you wish to purchase and we’ll send a voucher and booking information to you or directly to the recipient, then you just need to check the info and book your experience.
Packaging and Delivery
Please see the following page for information on our packaging and delivery.
All images shown are for illustration purpose only, actual product may vary from images shown.